Be a hummingbird!

I've been thinking about the story of the hummingbird - the little bird who tried to stop a forest fire while the other animals stood helplessly on the outskirt and watched its brave attempt.

The story, which has been told a number of times by Nobel Peace Prize winner and founder of the Green Belt Movement Wangari Maathai, is about how we all should try to do our best despite feeling powerless and small as we face a potential climate crisis because every small action counts.



The reason why I have been thinking about the story is because I have been reminded this week that I'm surrounded by a number of hummingbirds. The other day, for instance, I received an email from a friend in Holland who told me that she and her husband are thinking of buying a solar charger to power their mobiles and computers, and another friend from Norway sent me a package in a 100 per cent recycled envelope.

These might be small initiatives but collectively they make a big difference. So, like Wangari Maathai, I encourage you to be a hummingbird wherever you are!

Comments

Popular Posts