The world's least eco-friendly garment

Underwear pollutes the most out of all our garments, I was told at a dinner party on Saturday. I'm not sure if that's true (searched the internet for articles about it but found none) but it makes a whole lot of sense knowing most people don't wear the same knickers twice.

Bridget Jones, here I come! A gift from mom :)
When I was twelve, I spent three months at a boarding school in the south of England and one of the strongest memories from that time involved underwear. Prior to my stay there, my mom was told I could only bring three pairs of pants. I don't think my school thought about the environmental impact though but rather on the bottom line; that it would cost too much and take too long to wash thousands of knickers every day. The result of this was that I went to bed every night without wearing anything under my pyjamas, something I soon got used to.

My mother who is the queen of comfy, functional clothing (at least at home) tells me to always buy underwear with 100 percent cotton (see the sexy not-so-little thing underwear picture) so I don't get cold "under there" and develop a urine infection. She's probably right but then I read about all the pesticides that are used on cotton plantations and wonder what happens to the rest of my body if it engulfs a lot of pesticides from the garments I wear.

The best option is probably to go for organically grown cotton since it doesn't get soaked in pesticides and other synthetic agricultural chemicals but I'm not sure how easy it's to find eco-labeled underwear. Worth investigating.

Until next time, live green!



Comments

Popular Posts