Our trees are weeping

My hands smell of the rainforest, or so I want to believe. I have one living plant in my flat, a ficus benjamina, and I just gave it a promised makeover and a much-needed shower in the bathroom (my mom would be proud). It's amazing how good one feels after being fully merged in an activity like that, caring for a little piece of nature.

I love trees. I love nature. I come from Norway, where it's almost mandatory to go for Sunday walks in the forest so I guess that explains why. Also, I've lived six years in London, UK, and you really start to appreciate what you left behind after having been surrounded by concrete for that long.

That takes me to some sad news I read today about trees dying across the Rocky Mountain states in the US. I'm sure everyone has seen a beautiful autumn picture from Colorado: the pristine blue sky above and the beautiful mountains below covered in colorful leaves. Apparently, this picture is quickly fading as "the white-barked trees with golden leaves" - the trademark of Aspen, are dying off and doing so rapidly because of warmer winters, or so at least scientists think.

The article asks further down if something can be done to stop this development but concludes, based on a recent study, "that up to 41 percent of Western forests would be unable to support aspen by 2030. That figure would rise to 75 percent by 2060 and as much as 94 percent in 2090."

However, there is some good news even though it’s not related to this story. The other day, I read that the de-forestation of the Amazon is on the decrease. And for all of us who want to make a contribution to reversing a warmer climate, maybe it’s time to plant a tree? For example, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has launched a program that aims to plant seven billion trees by the end of this year, and so far more than four billion have been planted. Check out the site to give your pledge or get tips on how to plant a tree.

Comments

Popular Posts