The unusual weather

Russian Gas Supplies Through Ukraine Turned Off
I called my sister the other day and she told me it's unusually cold where she lives in southern France. I also talked to my parents who told me that it's unusually hot and dry where they are staying in the Caribbean. And, in Stockholm, it has been an unusual cold and long winter. I wonder where the weather is normal these days? Actually, it used to be normal to have snowy winters in Scandinavia when I was younger but, in the last twenty years or so, it has gotten warmer and, as a result, there is a lot less snow and ice.

The extreme weather around the world makes me think about the anecdote about the boiling frog that Al Gore used in his "An Inconvenient Truth" lecture. The anecdote describes a frog being boiled alive because it fails to see the danger of the slowly heated water. I hope we'll not face the same destiny and I don't want to sit around and wait for it to happen. So, yesterday I emailed Bill McKibben of 350.org and suggested that his organization arrange a Copenhagen of green business leaders. He answered saying he would pass on the idea to his team. I know that my thoughts and actions will not save the planet, but maybe our combined efforts will. At least, it would be great if we could stop the frog's water from boiling!

Comments

Popular Posts