Caring for animals (and people) is the green thing to do

Natural History Museum Launch Their New Butterfly Explorer Exhibition

Yesterday I saw the most disturbing footage on TV. A few guys set a rabbit on fire and laughed as they watched it race around in the snow. I wish I had never watched the news because those images are haunting me today and probably will for some time.


I'm no animal activist, but I'm glad someone is since the rate of animal abuse in Sweden is on the increase. And unfortunately this was illustrated to me today, just outside my apartment. A man was walking his dog and pulling the chain around the dog's neck too hard for comfort. I wanted to tell him to stop putting his foul mood on the dog but instead I gave him a dirty look. I have to say I find it unnatural to keep animals inside, but I also know that they give people a lot of pleasures and that's why I also believe they deserve our respect.


To me, being green is not just about turning off the computer before going to bed or changing a light bulb. It is about caring for the people and animals around us because if we do that we are more likely to do the rest. When I was little I used to count to ten before closing a door because I was afraid that an ant would get stuck and die. I also remember giving honey to a dying wasp. I'm aware that my behavior can be seen as a bit extreme, but I'm quite glad I was a kid like that and not the kind who gets a kick out of seeing a rabbit on fire.

Comments

Popular Posts